Sunday, February 22, 2009

Leftovers

The second I placed my size 5 foot on the cold, icy concrete outside Jupiter Apartments, I knew I wouldn't be delivering any noodles today. It was a deceivingly nice day. The sun was shining, but those roads patched with ice and snow would be treacherous. The segway was not ready for those. Lu would understand.

This morning's alarm clock was that of a ring more persistent than the routine sirens through the night. Somebody pulled the fire alarm, bringing all the residents
of Jupiter Apartments together on Rouse Street. The culprit was identified when his mother made him confess that he was responsible for the wake-up call. That little boy around the corner was either crying for attention that his mother probably deprived him of, or he had become as bitter as the rest of the folks in this town and wanted to give everyone an early morning scare. Whatever the cause, he needed his meal at 1 PM, on the dot. However, I would not be making a fresh batch of noodles just for him. No, he will be receiving last night's fried rice.

As we all stumbled back to our rooms, a couple of my neighbors caught my eye. Sidda, or maybe it was Sydney, looked uncomfortable. Well, she always looked uncomfortable. But she had not yet tamed that lion-esque hair this morning, and she appeared very aware of that unfortunate situation. I could probably count on my child-sized hand the number of words we had ever exchanged. Then someone shooved past me, obviously, I think the proper term would be "pissed off", by what happened. It must have been that man with the standoffish demeanor, at least, distinctively moreso than the already cynical population here. If I had no fingers, I could count the words we had ever spoken to each other.

Once I got back to 404B, I slept for a couple more hours. When I woke up, I realized I was overdue for my monthly attempt to reconnect with those I had left behind in China. The coming and going sirens assured me that it was a very fitting day to stay in and complete this task. I searched for a pen and paper, and wrote, almost habitually, "Dear Shan, Please don't throw this away..."

3 comments:

  1. Your post are funny in ways that reflect your character's personality."...I have come to the conclusion that calories are true happiness in food form." This shows her love for food, as does the fact that she makes a bowl of noodles for the boy and Lu every Sunday. I also like how you are beginning to develop her emotional side with her thoughts about Lu. Also with how she writes to her friends and family in China once a month. These all give your character some depth which will provide you with a lot of room to develop Su Lang-Chin.

    In developing your characeter I'd really like to see how her relationship with Lu develops, regardless of if it leads to anything romantic. I'm not sure when or how you plan to develop that, but I think it could add a lot to showing her personality.

    I think your character could help mine probably come out of her shell. They should interact!
    P.s. I think its so funny that she rides around on a segway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how the character describes her life through food. It makes her unique and interesting. Her personality also shows through your writing, which makes the reading much more realistic.

    I wonder what she's doing in this town, if she's here alone, and whether or not she's happy. She seems content with her surroundings, but is she really? I can't wait for more information on her past and her thoughts to come through in your posts.

    Her only connections with people seem to be through food. My character's hungry, feel free to bring some over anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Food is the premier medium for the communication of one's culture and personal circumstances. Su does this to perfection.

    Leaving some things left unsaid about Su's past could create some nice tension.

    My character could be hungry, but I wouldn't bring him anything. SEGWAY?!

    ReplyDelete