Monday, May 11, 2009

Kung Pao

Fanny Mae Lewis is an inspiration. She acted on her impulses, and she made a stand. I never knew this woman existed until last night, when even I crowded around her apartment to see a man lying on her floor, freshly stabbed. Through everyone's raucous murmurs, I arrived at the conclusion that he was some sort of lover, boyfriend, or as I heard someone say, her "booty call." Not quite sure what that one means, but I got the gist.

The next morning I decided I would make my stand, expect mine would not be nearly as gruesome. Mine would give me a reason for living here and give me the satisfaction I had deprived myself of for too long. I went to the market and bought the menu for today's meal. It was something more piquant than I was used to. More confident.

The meal was ready, I was ready. I packaged it up and put it in a satchel I found in my closet. I would not need the assistance of my segway today. I pulled my hair out of a bun and walked out the door, making sure to leave the boy's meal. He'd be in for a spicy surprise. It was 1:07. Oh well.

I walked into Lu's somewhat regretting my decision to wear my hair down, due to the humid weather. I slowly pushed it behind my ears. Lu walked up to me.

"Herro, Su."

I pulled out the meal and prepared it for him. Handing him the fork and knife, we both stared intently at my attempt to make a stand. I still could not look him in the eye as the fork pierced the meat, and the knife tore it. Though when he put the fork to his mouth, I would not allow myself to miss his reaction.

"Kung Pao!" Lu exclaimed.

At that moment I quickly reached my hand to his, like it was a reflex. I kept it there, and our eyes finally met.

No comments:

Post a Comment